Tools & Resources
Could also be called how I learned all of this stuff.
- US Government My Money website
- Bogleheads 501c3 ran Forum & Wiki dedicated to personal Finance.
- Reddit FIREyFemmes Reddit sub-reddit, also see their FAQ that lists other useful sub-reddits.
- Markets, Trading and Investing Simplified Zerodha's varsity website tries to educate one about Trading, Investing and personal finance.
- Fidelity Safe Documents - A way to store important documents for your next of kin(given to them as you want or full access @ time of death).
- White Coat Investor Doctor interested in FI blog
- Financial Retirement/Independence Calculators
- Portfolio Visualizer Compare strategies across history.
- If you are going to hire an advisor, check them out. The Securities Exchange Commission keeps updated information on all these folks at: https://www.sec.gov/investor/brokers.htm
- Some Excel Calculators
- financial calculators & financial calculators
- Math Investor blog
- "If You Can - How Millenials Can Get Rich Slowly" - William J. Bernstein.
- "The little Book of Common Sense Investing" - John C. Bogle
- "The Intelligent Investor" - Benjamin Graham
- "Budgeting 101" - Michele Cagan
- "The Ascent of Money: A financial History of the world" - Niall Ferguson
- "Choose FI" - Chris Mamula & Brad Barrett & Jonathan Mendonsa
- Money and Banking: What Everyone Should Know - Michael K Salemi, PHD
- Financial Literacy: Finding your way in the financial markets - Connel Fullenkamp PHD
- The Art of Investing: Lessons from History's Greatest Traders - John M. Longo PHD
- Money Management Skills - Michael Finke PHD
- Understanding Investments - Connel Fullenkamp PHD
- Advanced Investments - Steve L. Slezak PHD
- Who Should Buy Long-Term Bonds? John Y. CAMPBELL & Luis VICEIRA, Harvard
- Safe Withdrawal Rate Study Trinity University
- "Multifactor Portfolio Efficiency and Multifactor Asset Pricing" by Fama (JFQA 1996). link AKA proof the market is efficient.
- "The Psychology of Money" by Morgan Housel
It has a mathematical proof showing MKT is efficient.
Timing The Market GamesOr games that will prove that timing the market is 99.999% of the time a terrible idea, and you shouldn't bother.
Safe withdrawal rate(SWR) -> how many times expenses you need.
i.e. for a 4%/yr SWR, you need 25 x your expenses/yr.
example: I believe a 4% SWR is a safe starting point, I currently spend $40k/yr in expenses, how much $'s do I need invested?
1,000,000 * .04 = 40,000
40,000 * 25 = 1,000,000
1,000,000 * .04 = 40,000